The majority of protein products in this category are derived from byproducts of the dairy industry. All protein products passed testing for heavy metal contamination and approximately half of the category recorded exactly as much protein as claimed on their label.
All 16 products passed heavy metal purity testing
All 16 products tested passed testing for lead, cadmium, arsenic, and mercury contamination.
This means all of the protein products were shown to be safe from heavy metal contamination.
Seven products (44% of the category) receive a 10/10 on their label accuracy score.
- 31% of the products tested recorded less protein than reported on their label. On average, these products recorded approximately 7% less protein than claimed on their label.
- 7 of the 16 products tested recorded exactly as much protein as claimed.
- Pure Protein 100% Whey Protein was tested to contain 22% less protein than claimed on its label (19.6 g/serving vs the claimed 25 g/serving).
With just about half of the category matching their label claims it’s a good idea to check the data to make sure you know exactly what you’re consuming prior to making a purchase!
Significant differences in value were found
- Protein prices ranged from $11.42/lb to $32.39/lb.
- Given the wide price range and variations seen in the label claims make sure to check out our value rankings to make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck.