We live in a time when weight-loss fads gain interest faster than scientific research can make sense of their claims, and counterfeit products hit the market far too often. These facts are true of Garcinia cambogia as well, a weight-loss product that has gained mass attention in the last couple years. Read about the marketing hype for Garcinia cambogia as a miracle weight-loss supplement and compare it to what scientific research actually says in the infographic below.
For more information, visit LabDoor's Garcinia cambogia rankings.
- Infographic Design: Sherzod Max
- Amazon Product Page. Island’s Miracle 95% HCA Pure Garcinia Cambogia Extract Slim Maximum Strength Formula.
- Amazon Product Page. Living Natural Garcinia Cambogia Ultra Strength 95% HCA.
- Block AB. (2013, March 12). Garcinia Cambogia.
- Heber D. (2003, June). Herbal preparations for obesity: are they useful?. 30(2):441-63.
- Hellerstein MK. (1999, April). De novo lipogenesis in humans; metabolic and regulatory aspects. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 53(Suppl 1):S53-65.
- Heymsfield SB, et al. (1998, November). Garcinia cambogia (hydroxycitric acid) as a potential antiobesity agent: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 280(18):1596-600.
- Kim JE, et al. (2011, September 21). Does Glycine max leaves or Garcinia Cambogia promote weight-loss or lower plasma cholesterol in overweight individuals: a randomized control trial. Nutrition Journal. 10:94. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-10-94.
- Lenz TL & Hamilton WR. (2004, January). Supplemental products used for weight loss. 44(1):59-67.
- Lowenstein JM. (1971, February 10). Journal of Biological Chemistry. Effect of (-)-hydroxycitrate on fatty acid synthesis by rat liver in vivo. 246(3):629-32.
- Mattes RD & Bormann L. (2000). Effects of (-)-hydroxycitric acid on appetitive variables. Physiology & Behavior. 71(1-2):87-94.
- Nageswara R & Sakariah KK. (1988, February). Lipid-lowering and antiobesity effect of (?)hydroxycitric acid. Nutrition Research. 8(2):209-212.
- Official Garcinia Cambogia. Garcinia Cambogia XT.
- Ohia SE, et al. (2002, September). Safety and mechanism of appetite suppression by a novel hydroxycitric acid extract (HCA-SX). Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. 238(1-2):89-103.
- Oluyemi KA, et al. (2007, January). Erythropoietic and anti-obesity effects of Garcinia cambogia (bitter kola) in Wistar rats. Biotechnology and Appied Biochemistry. 46:69-72.
- Onakpoya I, et al. (2010, December 14). The Use of Garcinia Extract (Hydroxycitric Acid) as a Weight loss Supplement: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomised Clinical Trials. Journal of Obesity. doi: 10.1155/2011/509038.
- Pittler MH & Ernst E. (2004, April). Dietary supplements for body-weight reduction: a systematic review. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 79(4):529-536.
- Shara M, et al. (2003, December). Dose- and time-dependent effects of a novel (-)-hydroxycitric acid extract on body weight, hepatic and testicular lipid peroxidation, DNA fragmentation and histopathological data over a period of 90 days. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. 254(1-2):339-46.
- Taibi C. (2014, April 23). Here Are 7 'Miracle' Products Dr. Oz Had Peddled.
- VisibleHQ. (2014, August 18). Niche Analysis - Garcinia Cambogia.