Pharmavite LLC, the manufacturers of Nature Made ® vitamins, announced on Tuesday that they are recalling lots of 4 different vitamin products due to possible contamination with Salmonella or Staphyloccus aureus.
According to Pharmavite’s press release, “the recall was initiated after it was discovered that Salmonella and/or Staphyloccus aureus testing were not completed properly on these specific batch lots”:
- Nature Made ® Adult Gummies Multi - lot # 1196066, 1196071, 1205052
- Nature Made ® Adult Gummies Multi + Omega-3 - lot # 1173600
- Nature Made ® Adult Gummies Multi for Her plus Omega-3s - lot # 1196048, 1196050
- Nature Made ® Super B Complex w/C & Folic Acid tablets - lot # 1173779, 1170987, 1204735, 1173146, 1204001
Lot numbers are located on the back panel of the products’ labels next to their expiration date. Products with these lot numbers should not be consumed and should be returned to retailers for full refunds. As these products were distributed nationwide to major retailers, Pharmavite is also notifying distributors to remove recalled products from store shelves. The recall has been listed on the FDA’s official recalls listing as well.
Salmonella infections in healthy people cause what we know as typical “food poisoning” symptoms like nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, and fever. Symptoms may appear within a several hours or 2 days after exposure to the bacteria and then last for 4-7 days. Severe complications like arterial infections and arthritis can occur in people with weak immune systems like young children and older adults.
Staphylococcus aureus infections can also cause food poisoning symptoms like Salmonella, although symptoms usually appear more rapidly, appearing within 1-6 hours of infection, and are more acute, lasting 1-3 days. In a small portion of infected individuals, severe illness can occur. Please contact your physician for treatment options if symptoms do occur.
In addition to the above products, Pharmavite is also recalling lots from an additional 2 product lines for unrelated contamination possibilities. They list the following recalled products in this press release:
- Nature Made ® Adult Gummies Hair, Skin, Nails - lot # 1198437, 1198438
- Nature Made ® Vitamin D 1000 IU tablets - lot # 1147550, 1174782, 1176755, 1140172, 1175637, 1176756, 1147978, 1147557
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2010). Staphylococcal Food Poisoning. [source link]
- FDA. (2016). Recalls, Market Withdrawals, & Safety Alerts. [source link]
- Mayo Clinic. (2014). Salmonella Infection. [source link]
- Pharmavite, LLC. (2016). Nature Made Product Recall List. Press Releases. [source link]
- Pharmavite, LLC. (2016). Nature Made ® Recalls Various Products Because of Possible Health Risk. Press Releases. [source link]